The Machine Ethics Podcast compendium
This page is an evolving document that will help anyone listening to the podcast partially decypher the terms and learn more about the subjects discussed.
This is by no way a complete document and is meant as a resource and talking point.
Artifical intelligence - Computer programs with some level of learning and/or autonomy. It can also be referrenced as the goal of creating a human-like intelligent artifical entity. This term seems to be a moving goal-post as our algorithms become ever more sophisticated.
Machine Ethics - The study and implementation of moral behaviors in artificial systems / programs created to act as moral agents.
Robo-ethics - The morals of making autonomous systems that can effect us directly e.g. autonomous cars, robots used in warfare.
Computer Ethics - The actions of humans on computers, data and programs.
AI Ethics - The study of practical ethics and their implementations in AI systems, pipelines and outcomes.
Theories of mind - As AI systems become more intelligent the study of the mind, conciousness, and of temporal beings will become more important to distinguish facets of these things in AI and indeed what that means for us in relation.
Projects / research / standards of interest:
- Open AI: https://openai.com
- MIT Moral machines: http://moralmachine.mit.edu/
- Microsoft FATE: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/group/fate/
- EPSRC: https://www.epsrc.ac.uk/research/ourportfolio/themes/engineering/activities/principlesofrobotics/
- IEEE ethics in action: https://ethicsinaction.ieee.org/
Ethical tech guidelines / principles / frameworks:
- ARM - AI trust manifesto - https://www.arm.com/blogs/blueprint/arm-ai-trust-manifesto
- Asilomar study on long term AI futures - http://www.aaai.org/Organization/asilomar-study.pdf
- Big Data Ethics - Beyond IRBs: Ethical Guidelines for Data Research: https://bigdata.fpf.org/papers/beyond-irbs-ethical-guidelines-for-data-research/
- Design Ethically - https://www.designethically.com/toolkit
- Digital Catapult - Ethics Framework: https://www.migarage.ai/ethics-framework/
- EPSRC - Principles of robotics: https://epsrc.ukri.org/research/ourportfolio/themes/engineering/activities/principlesofrobotics/
- Future of life institue - Global AI Policy: https://futureoflife.org/ai-policy/?cn-reloaded=1&cn-reloaded=1
- Google - AI principles: https://www.blog.google/technology/ai/ai-principles/
- IBM - Everyday Ethics for Artificial Intelligence: https://www.ibm.com/watson/assets/duo/pdf/everydayethics.pdf
- IF - Data ethics toolkit: https://www.projectsbyif.com/blog/data-ethics-toolkits-9-practices-for-organisations-operating-digital-services
- NESTA - 10 questions to answer before using AI in public sector algorithmic decision making: https://www.nesta.org.uk/blog/10-questions-ai-public-sector-algorithmic-decision-making/
- OECD - The OECD AI Principles https://www.oecd.org/going-digital/ai/principles/
- OpenAI charter - https://openai.com/charter/
- Partnership on AI - Our Work (Thematic Pillars): https://www.partnershiponai.org/about/#our-work
- Toward an Ethics of AI Assistants: an Initial Framework: https://link.springer.com/epdf/10.1007/s13347-018-0317-3
- Unity3d - Introducing Unity’s Guiding Principles for Ethical AI: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/11/28/introducing-unitys-guiding-principles-for-ethical-ai/
Aimed at children:
- AI + Ethics Curriculum for Middle School: https://www.media.mit.edu/projects/ai-ethics-for-middle-school/overview/
- Data permissions catalogue https://catalogue.projectsbyif.com/
- Ethical design manifesto https://ind.ie/ethical-design/
- Ethics checklist for data scientists - https://deon.drivendata.org/
- UK select committee on AI: http://www.parliament.uk/ai-committee
- Machine Ethics
- Machine Ethics: http://www.cambridge.org/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=113906486X
- Robotics: a short history: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/robotics-a-very-short-introduction-9780199695980?cc=gb&lang=en&
See the Machine Ethics youtube channel for lists and content.
- A collection of controversial, and often unethical AI use cases - https://romanlutz.github.io/ResponsibleAI/
- AI Incident Database - https://incidentdatabase.ai/discover/index.html?s=
- List of AI ethics content - https://caitiewrites.gitbooks.io/ai-ethics-reading-list/content/